Sunday, April 19, 2015

Baseball Should Eliminate the Intentional Walk

Run scoring has been down recently in baseball.  There are many reasons for this.  There has been a resurgence of high quality pitching.  Pitching specialization has become very common (righties vs. righties, lefties vs. lefties).  The past few years the number of defensive shifts has increased exponentially, taking away the areas towards which batters most commonly hit.  As a result, hitting is down all across baseball.  Now I’m the type of person who loves watching pitching duels (call me crazy).  But I do also enjoy good hitting.  There have been a lot of ideas to aid hitters.  So I thought I would introduce an idea of my own.  Baseball should eliminate the intentional walk.  

Now hear me out on this.  I’m not saying pitchers couldn’t pitch around batters they don’t want to face.  There is no realistic way of doing that.  But the catcher putting his hand out and sidestepping out from behind the plate would not be allowed.  If pitchers wanted to, they could still just not throw strikes to the batter and put him on base.  However, they would have to execute those pitches, with the catcher behind the plate.  These pitches would be much closer to the zone and therefore, there would be much less margin for error.  And as intentional walks are typically given to the better hitters in the lineup, these hitters would be more adept at hitting any mistakes from the pitchers.  Another factor to consider is that intentional walks are given when there is at least one runner in scoring position.  So if pitchers are forced to throw closer to the zone, where mistakes will be more common, to batters who are better at hitting mistake pitches, logic would dictate there should be at least a small increase in runs scored.  And also intentional walks are usually given in crucial moments of the game, often when the game is very close.  So this could potentially lead to big impacts in games.

One counterpoint that comes to mind to this argument is that if pitchers are doing well, shouldn’t they be able effectively pitch around batters, even without an intentional walk?  Maybe.  “Unintentional intentional walks” generally get the job done.  However, I have two responses to that.  First, pitchers are still human and they will make mistakes, especially with a much smaller margin for error.  Second, if pitchers are able to just pitch around batters, then doesn’t that leave the intentional walk pointless?  Pitchers can just throw balls without having to go through the whole routine.   Either way, I think it would be better if the intentional walk were simply eliminated.  I honestly do not think it serves a purpose.  


Do you think I have a point?  Do you have any other arguments against my idea? Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Laterdays17 said...

It is interesting that you point out the "unintentional intentional" walk could lead to more offense. I did not think about that before, as I felt another base runner from the intentional walk could potentially increase runs. But any time a good hitter sees pitches, they could do something with it. I think that is a good reason to get rid of the intentional walk.

My only argument against it would be I think it would be more likely to throw wild pitches if the pitcher is unintentionally intentionally walking a batter, instead of the 4 soft toss balls they throw now. I don't think it's fair to force someone to do this if they have no intention at all of not walking the batter. As long as the catcher is behind the batters boxes or plate, the pitcher should be able to throw it where they want and how they want.

I do agree though that it is pretty annoying when pitchers do it lol your debate has begun.

Brett Woods said...

If your point is accurate that it could lead to more wild pitches, I think that further helps my case for increased offense, maybe not by hits but by wild pitches. Runs are runs. In any case, I feel the name of the game with pitching is execution, so make the pitchers execute their pitches if they want to walk someone. There should be at least a little risk.