On July 15, Major League Baseball will play its 85th
All-Star game. So I thought I would have
fun with this one and talk about who the starters in the game should be. This entry will deal with the National League
and will be followed by an entry on the American League. So without further ado, here are my National
League All-Star starters.
First Base: Paul Goldschmidt (Arizona)
This was a pretty easy one for me. Goldschmidt is second in the NL with 15
homeruns, second with 53 RBIs, first with 58 runs, first with 27 doubles and
fourth in batting average. He is the
only first bagger who ranks in the top 5 in all those categories. And for the record leads all first basemen
with 7 steals.
Honorable mention: Freddie Freeman (Atlanta), Anthony Rizzo
(Chicago)
Second Base: Dee Gordon (Los Angeles)
This guy is the best basestealer in baseball, leading the
majors with 40. I think in today’s game
of homeruns and more homeruns, guys who can steal bases are underrated. This guy is fast and he is smart. Plus he has a solid .288 average, is fourth
with 42 runs scored, leads the majors with 9 triples and is playing above
average defense.
Honorable mention: Daniel Murphy (New York), Chase Utley
(Philadelphia)
Shortstop: Troy Tulowitzki (Colorado)
This was another pick which was pretty easy. Tulowitzki is generally regarded as the best
shortstop in baseball. The only downside
he has is that he is injury prone. But
he has stayed healthy this year and is putting up the numbers. He leads all shortstops with 18 homeruns and
65 runs, is second with 47 RBIs and leads all players with a .353 average.
Honorable mention: Hanley Ramirez (Los Angeles), Starlin
Castro (Chicago)
Third Base: Todd Frazier (Cincinnati)
I originally did my all-star voting a few weeks ago, and in
that time I have had to change my mind on this pick. Originally I voted for Matt Carpenter with
the mindset that Frazier and Carpenter are different type hitters. Frazier had the RBI’s and homeruns but
Carpenter had hits and runs. Well
Frazier has stepped it up and now has a slightly higher average and is about
even in runs. So although I love my
hometown guy, I’ve got to give it to Frazier.
Honorable Mention: Matt Carpenter (St. Louis), Casey McGehee
(Miami)
Catcher: Yadier Molina (St. Louis)
I dealt with this subject in my last entry. Honestly, this is one of the most even positions. Jonathan Lucroy leads Molina
in the offensive categories, with Molina still putting up solid numbers. But of any position, defense is important for
catchers, and this is where Molina has a big advantage. Lucroy has allowed 45 steals in 62
attempts. Molina has had 34 stolen base
attempts against him total, throwing out half.
So, I feel Molina is a better all-around player.
Honorable Mention: Jonathan Lucroy (Milwaukee), Devin
Mesoraco (Cincinnati)
Outfield: Giancarlo Stanton (Miami), Andrew McCutcheon
(Pittsburgh), Charlie Blackmon (Colorado)
Stanton was an easy pick.
He leads NL outfielders with 21 homeruns and 60 RBIs and 1run behind the
NL leader. McCutcheon was also a fairly easy pick. He leads with a .314 average, second with 24
doubles, is a smart basestealer (12 for 12) and is an impeccable defender. The third spot was difficult to choose. In the end I went with Blackmon. He got off to the best start of any player
and while he has slowed down he still has solid numbers. He is among the leaders in hits, runs, RBIs
and stolen bases.
Honorable Mention: Carlos Gomez (Milwaukee), Yasiel Puig
(Los Angeles), Hunter Pence (San Francisco)
Agree? Disagree? Let me know! I love debating this
stuff. Again, my AL starters will follow
shortly. I figured that would be too
much to put into one entry. Hope you
enjoyed reading. God Bless.
*stats as of 7/2/14
No comments:
Post a Comment