Friday, October 28, 2016

What happens if the Cubs win the World Series?

As I write this the World Series is tied at 1 game a piece. When the series began I started thinking, what would happen if the Cubs actually won the World Series? This is a reality that has not happened in 108 years.. The Ottoman Empire was still in existence the last time they. The Cubs haven't even been to a World Series since 1945. Think about that. When Dexter Fowler led off game 1, he was the first black Cub to appear in a World Series. I find that to be crazy. It's been so long! So what would happen if they won?
This is a really interesting question to me. The Cubs are known as the "Lovable Losers". Year after year they don't win but they have one of the biggest fanbases in baseball. But if the Cubs win, they will no longer be losers. What happens when they lose that moniker? I was listening to a podcast recently and the host mentioned that when the Red Sox broke their curse in 2004 against the Cardinals (I cried myself to sleep that night), there were a number of fans who lost interest after that. What it meant to be a fan was the quest. And once the quest was over , there was nothing left. To some degree I feel that's what will happen if the Cubs win. Ive thought this for a while. I think it's inevitable that a portion will have this same mindset. This has been the Cubs identity for so long and once they are no longer the feel good story, the bandwagon fans will go away.  This isn't to belittle true Cubs fans. Staying with a team through so much failure, I've always had respect for that.
I've also been forced to think about what my reaction will be if the Cubs win. This is the first time I've ever had to consider this. I've concluded that after I punch something, I will begrudgingly congratulate my friends who are Cub fans.
In the end though, as big of a deal as I make it, I know my life will ultimately not change regardless of who wins. This is just one of the fun things about sports. There are rivalries. It's nothing personal, it's just fun.  I know my friends who are Cub fans would never root for the Cardinals to win the World Series.
So we will see what happens. The Cubs could very well not even win the Series. The Indians have a very good team. And we will have to wait until at least next year to find out. Or we might find out next week. Let me know what you think!

No comments: