9. Bruised Chest
In high school I was playing baseball over at my friend Tyler’s house. I was pitching and he lined the ball right back at me and pegged me right below my left shoulder. I went down and he and his mother ran out to check on me. When they got there I was laughing my butt off because it didn’t actually hurt, I just found it hilarious. I did end up with a nice, yellow bruise with the seams imprinted.
8. Injured Hand
I played rec baseball up through my freshman year in high school. During a game in middle school injuries was batting and the pitcher threw pretty hard. He threw an inside pitch and jammed me. I swung and instead of the ball hitting my bat, I hit it off my hand. Didn’t break anything, but it hurt really bad and I had to sit out until my next at bat.
7. Various Crotch Shots
When one plays sports, this periodically happens. It’s no bueno. The worst one I remember was in middle school when I was playing catch at my friend Joe’s house. I thought we were done, so I took off my glove. Apparently he wanted to throw another one, so he fired one at me and I was completely unprepared. Went down, wanted to vomit. Standard stuff. Felt better about 15 minutes later. The peak pain was highest here but it does subside much quicker.
6. Bruised Foot
When I was in college, possibly still high school, I was out at the park playing baseball with the same friend who pegged me with the line drive. I was batting and fouled the ball straight down off my left foot. I gained so much respect for professionals who do this, because I can’t hit a ball nearly as hard as they do and I was in a ton of pain. Ended up with a nice bruise on my foot. But not on the top of my foot where the ball hit it. No, on the bottom of my foot where my foot hit the ground. That was so weird. It hurt to walk for a few days.
5. Broken Shoulder and Collarbone
Being born is a sport, right? Maybe? Anyway I was born with a broken shoulder and collarbone. Also jaundice. I was a messed up baby.
4. Hypertended Knee
Again middle school rec baseball. I promise this is the last baseball one. I was on first base. Ground ball to the second baseman, He threw it to the shortstop for the out at second. Normally the shortstop would then throw it to first. Baseball. No. The shortstop once they had made the out at second, ran directly at me. We collided and I went down in a ton of pain. I said earlier the crotch shot was the worst peak pain. Actually this rivaled that. Coach ran out to check on me. Helped me walk off the field. He said he was really worried at first because my knee went backwards. Thankfully there wasn’t any structural damage.
3. Concussion
Last year we were playing slip and slide kickball up at church (you can already tell where this is going). I kicked the ball and was running to first. I went to slow down and my feet came out from under me and I fell backwards. I lost consciousness for a second or two. I remember coming to and realizing I must have been out but no one had reacted so it must not have been for a noticeable amount of time. Felt fine after that, except for a little dizziness about an hour later.
T-1 Broken Finger
In 3rd grade we were playing capture the flag at church camp. The other team got the flag and I was chasing that person. I made a dive for his flag (missed) and my left index finger went straight into the ground. It hurt after that and I told my counselor and but they figured I was fine. When I went home, we went to the doctor and it was in deed broken. It healed up in the normal amount of time, But it didn’t heal completely straight. To this day the tip past my last knuckle is slightly bent outwards towards my thumb.
T-1 Undetermined Ankle Injury
In college, I was up at church playing basketball with a couple of friends, Matt and Adam. At one point Adam and I went after a loose ball, we collided and both went down. When I tried to stand up, I couldn’t put any pressure on my right ankle. Eventually made it over to a chair and after a few minutes decided to head home. The difficult part about driving though was that it was my right ankle, attached to the foot I use to drive. My ankle hurt so bad I couldn’t push down on the pedal. So I decided I had to drive with my left foot. That’s not easy. Once I got up to speed I was able to just put it in cruise. Now I call this injury undetermined because I was a broke college kid and didn’t want to pay to go to the hospital. So I bought a brace from Walgreens and wore that for 3 months until my ankle felt better.
And there we have it. My 9 (really 8) worst sports related injuries. They are my battle scars and I will wear them proudly. Hope you enjoyed me being hurt.
When one plays sports, this periodically happens. It’s no bueno. The worst one I remember was in middle school when I was playing catch at my friend Joe’s house. I thought we were done, so I took off my glove. Apparently he wanted to throw another one, so he fired one at me and I was completely unprepared. Went down, wanted to vomit. Standard stuff. Felt better about 15 minutes later. The peak pain was highest here but it does subside much quicker.
6. Bruised Foot
When I was in college, possibly still high school, I was out at the park playing baseball with the same friend who pegged me with the line drive. I was batting and fouled the ball straight down off my left foot. I gained so much respect for professionals who do this, because I can’t hit a ball nearly as hard as they do and I was in a ton of pain. Ended up with a nice bruise on my foot. But not on the top of my foot where the ball hit it. No, on the bottom of my foot where my foot hit the ground. That was so weird. It hurt to walk for a few days.
5. Broken Shoulder and Collarbone
Being born is a sport, right? Maybe? Anyway I was born with a broken shoulder and collarbone. Also jaundice. I was a messed up baby.
4. Hypertended Knee
Again middle school rec baseball. I promise this is the last baseball one. I was on first base. Ground ball to the second baseman, He threw it to the shortstop for the out at second. Normally the shortstop would then throw it to first. Baseball. No. The shortstop once they had made the out at second, ran directly at me. We collided and I went down in a ton of pain. I said earlier the crotch shot was the worst peak pain. Actually this rivaled that. Coach ran out to check on me. Helped me walk off the field. He said he was really worried at first because my knee went backwards. Thankfully there wasn’t any structural damage.
3. Concussion
Last year we were playing slip and slide kickball up at church (you can already tell where this is going). I kicked the ball and was running to first. I went to slow down and my feet came out from under me and I fell backwards. I lost consciousness for a second or two. I remember coming to and realizing I must have been out but no one had reacted so it must not have been for a noticeable amount of time. Felt fine after that, except for a little dizziness about an hour later.
T-1 Broken Finger
In 3rd grade we were playing capture the flag at church camp. The other team got the flag and I was chasing that person. I made a dive for his flag (missed) and my left index finger went straight into the ground. It hurt after that and I told my counselor and but they figured I was fine. When I went home, we went to the doctor and it was in deed broken. It healed up in the normal amount of time, But it didn’t heal completely straight. To this day the tip past my last knuckle is slightly bent outwards towards my thumb.
T-1 Undetermined Ankle Injury
In college, I was up at church playing basketball with a couple of friends, Matt and Adam. At one point Adam and I went after a loose ball, we collided and both went down. When I tried to stand up, I couldn’t put any pressure on my right ankle. Eventually made it over to a chair and after a few minutes decided to head home. The difficult part about driving though was that it was my right ankle, attached to the foot I use to drive. My ankle hurt so bad I couldn’t push down on the pedal. So I decided I had to drive with my left foot. That’s not easy. Once I got up to speed I was able to just put it in cruise. Now I call this injury undetermined because I was a broke college kid and didn’t want to pay to go to the hospital. So I bought a brace from Walgreens and wore that for 3 months until my ankle felt better.
And there we have it. My 9 (really 8) worst sports related injuries. They are my battle scars and I will wear them proudly. Hope you enjoyed me being hurt.
No comments:
Post a Comment