You know I had to do some Cardinals predictions, so let’s get to it.
1. Kolten Wong and Yadier Molina win Gold Gloves
Wong had a breakout year last year and is the frontrunner again this season. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I don’t see why he shouldn’t repeat. Molina has been one of the best defensive catchers of all time. Yadi isn’t in his prime anymore, but in a 60 game sprint to the finish season, he won’t have to worry about getting worn down. This could be just the ticket for one last Yadi Gold Glove.
2. The Cardinals will win the Central.
I touched on this in my standings predictions, but I can go into more depth now. The Cardinals are set up great for this season. Inevitably there will be times when players go out with Covid. When that happens the Cardinals have such a deep roster, they will be able to replace them with MLB ready players. There are pitchers in the bullpen that would be in most other rotations and hitter that didn’t make the team who would be on many other benches . I think a lack of depth will catch up with other teams. Also with a schedule consisting of the NL and AL Central, a third of their games will be against Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Detroit, who should be very bad this year and allow the Cardinals to rack up some wins. I predict a finish of 35-25.
3. Jack Flaherty wins the Cy Young.
Flaherty had an unreal second half last season. Legitimately one of the best in history. He has turned the corner and there is no reason for this not to continue. Flaherty finished 4th last season. Reigning winner Jacob deGrom has been dealing with a back issue. He’s ready to start the season but I’m interested to see if this pops up again. Hyun-Jin Ryu finished 2nd but he is in the American League now. Max Scherzer finished 3rd but was just a few points ahead of Flaherty. (And I personally think Flaherty had the better season). Flaherty is only going to get better and I think this is his year.
4. Kwang-hyun Kim wins Rookie of the Year
This is perhaps my favorite prediction. Rookie of the Year is always have so hard to predict. Many rookies don’t play well their first season. Many rookies don’t have the opportunity or playing time needed. Kim is a dark horse candidate. The front runner going into the season is the Dodgers’ Gavin Lux. However, he isn’t starting the year in the majors. Granted I expect him to be called up in about a week after his service time manipulation is done. He could still come up and be great but I’m playing a hunch on Kim. Foreign professionals are still considered rookies and with Kim announced to start the year as the Cardinals closer, he will have the opportunity to make a big impact from the outset of the season.
5. Paul DeJong finished top 10 in the MVP
Paul DeJong is an underrated player. He got off to a blazing hot start last year but got hardly any games off over the course of the season and that wore him down. He has some of the most power from the shortstop position and is a very underrated defender. (He was a gold glove finalist last year). I think this is the year he puts it all together. I almost had him as my dark horse MVP winner but my awards predictions were starting to get a little too Cardinals-centric. But expect DeJong to have an exceptional season.
No comments:
Post a Comment